On average an obituary can be between $0 and $600.
Factors that affect obituary cost:
- Length of text - consider this before you start writing
- Photo - is black and white okay or do you want color?
- Location/Publication (i.e. the LA Times vs. your local newspaper).*
- Day of the week - weekends are generally more expensive
- How many days you want the obituary to run
Key parts of an obituary:
- Name of deceased
- Date of deceased
- Names of deceased's family
- Date and location of services
- Info about flowers/donations
Why write an obituary?
- It let's people know the person has passed, so they can come to the funeral.
- It marks the person's death in history.
*Note your funeral home may be able to run one on their web site for free.